1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I feel like I am still experimenting with so many new yarns. There are so many that I haven't tried yet. But I do like natural fibers better than the acrylic and novelty yarns. I just made a felted project with some Kettle Dyed Malabrigo that was beautiful and felted great. I really loved it. I would lik eto try some of the interesting yarns made form plant-based materials, like some "sea silk" that someone had at a convention I was at that was gorgeous!
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a canvas paint brush roll that I use and I also found an old silk needle roll at a local vintage clothing store that I got for a few bucks. I am yet to find something that works well for my circulars.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? My stepmother taught me to cast-on and knit stitch when I was a teenager but I didn't stick with it. Then I tried to teach myself and was discouraged by bad yarn choices and some other beginner mistakes. I finally took a class at my LYS last November and have been obsessed ever since. I guess I'd say I'm somewhere between an advanced beginner and intermediate.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? just started a wist list! It is on the sidebar.
5. What's your favorite scent? I don't like strong artificial fragrances, they give me a headache. But if the source is natural, like from an essential oil or something then I love citrus type smells, vanilla,cinnamon, lots of herbs like basil, rosemary, pineapple sage. Just about anything woodsy and earthy like that and food smells!
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? That is about all I have! I love chocolate. Especially dark. I love chocolate with peanut butter and other sweet and salty combinations. I love cake, cookies, brownies, candy....the only candy I really don't like is anything licorice or jelly bean like. Hate mike and Ike's and stuff like that. I also don't like marshmallow or biscotti with anise and amaretto flavors. Anything else is a pretty sure bet!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I do not spin but would like to learn. I love to needle felt, I make casts of pregnant bellies, faces, and pretty much whatever out of plaster, I also enjoy drawing although I don't make much time for it these days.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I have very eclectic taste in music. I love jazz, you know old jazz, stuff from the 40's, big band, Sinatra, Billie Holiday,... I also love John Denver, Indigo Girls, Sade, The Red Hot Chili Peppers,Tracey Chapman, Partridge Family, James Taylor, Beastie Boys, Harry Chapin, The Beatles, Loreena McKennit, Broadway showtunes, and the list goes on and on and on.... The only things I don't like are most country, christian pop/rock and pop music that is played every time I turn on the radio.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? Can't pick a favorite...I love reds, blues, and greens, Pinks and oranges. Yellow is probably my least favorite. I like earth colors too. I like jewel tones. Not crazy about pastel shades or country crafty shades. I also don't like navy blue, forest green or burgundy. Love teals, turquoises, raspberry reds, lime green, mango....I don't like real muddy colors like drab olive tones.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Well, I'm married and the kids are his, mine and ours. Between the two of us we have five kids. I have two stepdaughters and three of my own kids. A 9 year old girl, 4 year old boy, and 2 year old girl. The youngest are ours together. We also have two cats and two angora bunnies.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Haven't worn a poncho since I was about 10 but I definitely wear the others.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I don't know yet. Ones that I finish I guess. I have enjoyed some of the felted bags that I've knit. Dishcloths are always fun since they are fast. I jsut did my first pair of socks which was cool. I have so many projects to try...
13. What are you knitting right now? I am trying to finish a cotton dress for my two year old, I just started a bib and baby blanket for my friend's baby and I have a sock on my needles somewhere.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Love to!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I like the versatility of the circulars, and I have the Denise Interchangeable kit. But I don't use them exclusively or anything. I use bamboo, aluminum, whatever the addi's are made of...I'm not that picky.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? No, but I wish I did.
17. How old is your oldest UFO? My sister taught me to crochet years ago and I started this big acrylicy, brown is, ugly afghan. For good reason, I think it shall forever remain unfinished.
18. What is your favorite holiday? Gonna have to say Christmas, Halloween is a close second. I also love beltane (May Day) and we try to recognize the solstices and equinoxes with our kids.
19. Is there anything that you collect? Not officially but I am drawn to card decks, like tarot, animal spirit cards, the Osho Zen card deck. I like to use them for daily meditations and I just love the art of some of them. I also love fantasy things like fairies. And I have lots of books, especially reference type books like cookbooks, gardening, decorating, knitting (obviously), and other craft type books.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? No knitting subscriptions. I would like to get a good classic Knitting book like something from Elizabeth Zimmerman, there is a cute one called barefoot knits, Knitting for Peace, Fitted Knits...Too many yarns to list but I'll think about it. As for needles, I'd like to try something that a more experienced knitter loves. I'd like to try some of the Fleece Artist yarn sometime.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I just took a mobious knitting class which was really fun. I'd like to learn to spin and dye someday. So many other things to learn.....
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Just started with socks. I wear a size 9 shoe (US) My feet are long and narrow. Ball of foot is 81/2 inches, Heel to toe is 10 in.
23. When is your birthday? March 26, 1975
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID? I signed up for an invitation but am somewhere around number 15,000 on the waiting list.